"The Mad Science Book" is the UK edition of the German bestseller "Das Buch der verrückten Experimente". The amazing stories of 113 strange experiments from the middle ages to today. Entertaining, mind opening, deeply researched, with original illustrations (the second volume has not yet been licensed for the UK or US. Foreign rights).
The weirdest experiments
Visitors to this website voted for their favorite weird science experiment. The ranking:
1. The three Christs of Ypsilanti -Three men think they are Jesus. What happens when they meet?(1959) full story
2. Diagnosing schizophrenics with spider webs (1955) full story
3. The hanging studies (1905) full story
4. Brilliantly saying nothing. Does anyone notice? (1970) full story
5. Staying in bed for one year (1986) full story
6. Crucifiying volunteers (1984) more
Das Buch der verrückten Experimente (Bertelsmann 2004)
Das neue Buch der verrückten Experimente (Bertelsmann 2009)
De Galna Experimentens Bok (Fahrenheit 2006)
매드 사이언스 북 (Puriwa Ipari 2008)
111 najbardziej szalonych eksperymentów (Proszynski 2009)
疯狂实验史(新知文库;) (SDX Joint Publishing Company 2009)
Below you will find filmclips in connection to the experiments in the books. Please note "book 1" refers to "The Mad Science Book", "book 2" to "Das neue Buch der verrückten Experimente" the second volume that has not yet been published in English (see foreign rights).
Experiments in the Revival of Organisms (part 1)
The psychologist B.F. Skinner constructed a special box for the study of learning behaviour in animals. Skinner didn’t name it "Skinner Box", but the term quickly became popular. Hewas even suspected of having raised his second daughter Deborah in a Skinner Box (which was not true). Here a segment from a documentary about Skinner.
Sleep Experiment in Mammoth Cave